Solaris 2.3 shared memory

From: David Margrave <dmargrav_at_stellar.comnet.com>
Date: 1995/07/01

Can anyone offer some advice on how to select the values for the shared memory and semaphore parameters in the /etc/system file, for running Oracle?

My system is running solaris 2.3, and has about 160 MB of memory and twice as much swap. Here is what I am using, partly from the oracle manuals and partly guessed:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=400
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=15
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100

Now in comparison, I have an RDI Powerlite 85 Sparc compatible laptop with 64 MB of memory and about 160 MB of swap space. How should I adjust the parameters for this one? What guidlines are used or is this something that just comes with being a Unix guru?

Thanks,

David Margrave
dmargrav_at_utw.com Received on Sat Jul 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message