Re: ORACLE DATE IN WHERE CLAUSE PROBLEMS

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1995/06/30

On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, John Carlson wrote:

> In article <3soo7s$174_at_dns.crocker.com>, davor_at_crocker.com says...
> >
> >What's more, if I have the gaul to use the BETWEEN...AND... operator, my
> >charming little ORACLE SERVER tells me I have 25 matches, as seen here:
> >

> I'm not positive but I think your problem is related to the numerical value of the
> dates you are selecting. Try using 'YYMMDD' as the date structure and then the
> numerical compare will be correct.

Nope. The problem is that the first query is using the '<' and '>' operators which exclude the begin and ending dates (exlusive). [Actually may include the beginning if the time piece is greater than 00:00:00.]

Between uses the begin and end dates (inclusive). However, since no time was specified on the ending date it too will exclude anything with a time portion greater than 00:00:00.

I suspect all the dates in question are defaulting to a time portion of 00:00:00 so it boils down to exclusion versus inclusion of the begin and end dates.

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Fri Jun 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message