Re: Oracle, NLS and Unicode

From: Danny van der Rijn <dvanderr_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1995/06/30

In article <1995Jun21.171819.12353_at_news.wrc.xerox.com> cburgio_at_eng.mc.xerox.com (Cindy Burgio) writes:

>Hi All,
>
>We are using Oracle 7.1.4 and have been trying to import/export using
>ACCESS 2.0 and Oracle's latest ODBC driver. It all works fine UNTIL you move
>accented characters (i.e. codes > 127 in the ANSI/ISO 8859-1 code set). Moving
>from Oracle->Access they come out as if they were 7-bit values e.g. e-acute
>(233) becomes i (105). From Access->Oracle they appear as "?".
>
>Anyone know anything about making this work?

see the NLS appendices in your DBA guide. you have character-set conversion going on between 2 endpoints that apparently disagree on their character sets.

>This leads me on to another question, about NLS support in Oracle. How should
>we be creating the database to support Unicode? There doesn't seem to be an option
>that says "Unicode" for the character set part of the parameter.
>
>Any clues? Does Oracle support Unicode? If not, anyone hear of support for
>this in a future release?

i forget which version (7.2?) has unicode in it. the way unicode is supported is through an encoding variant of unicode that is alternately called FSS-UTF, UTF8, or UTF2. see the Unicode (or ISO10646) documentation for more details.

--
This opinion will self destruct in 5 seconds.
Danny van der Rijn--dvanderr_at_oracle.com   || Take my advice ---
                                          || *I'm* certainly not using it.
(415) 506-3142                            ||