Re: Finding a PL/SQL error

From: Victor Rajendra Kumar Addepalli <victor_at_hermes.cs.uh.edu>
Date: 1995/06/29

In article <DAxD9y.FDE_at_carmen.logica.co.uk>, Russell McDonald <mcdonaldr_at_logica.com> wrote:
>raiden_at_mars.superlink.net wrote:
>
>>> scheller_at_netcom.com (Mark J. Scheller) writes:
>>>
>>> I have a stored procedure I'm trying to implement, but when I load it into
>>> sqlplus, I get the oh-so-helpful error message "warning: error during
>>> compile" or something to that effect. Is there a better way to do this so

>>after getting the "error on compile message", type "show erros", this will give you
>>a better description of which line caused the error
>
>After doing 'show errors' you will get things like 'Error at line 34'.
>In sqlplus you can then do 'list 30 40' and it will give you the bit
>of code in your procedure that is failing.

Another way to debug is to comment your first line, i.e., CREATE PROCEDURE ......
and instead replace it with "DECLARE" statement and then run.

It will execute the procedure block, and if you see any errors inthe code you will know exactly, i.e., line no. etc.

You need little care, because you are executing the block this way, rather than compiling with "CREATE PROCEDURE...." statement.

Victor Addepalli/..

| Victor Addepalli             :  Dept. of Comp. Sc., Univ. of Houston  |
| e-mail : victor_at_cs.uh.edu    :  University Park, Houston, TX - 77204  |
| US-mail: 4371 Faculty Lane, Houston, TX - 77004                       |