Re: zombies

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_phantom.telecom.com.au>
Date: 1995/06/29

In article <3smds6$jg3_at_ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>, chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck Hamil
ton) writes:
> In <DApr6s.GxF_at_koko.csustan.edu> jfruetel_at_ainet.com (John Fruetel)
> writes:
> >
> >You might want to see if you can fiddle with the TCP/IP KEEPALIVE
> >option on your host. I don't know about Solaris, but this can be
> >changed on SCO Unix from the default of two hours to something else (5
> >minutes in our case) and any "zombies" get nuked after 5 minutes.
>
> Wouldn't that also "nuke" processes that were running long ( > 5
> minute) queries?

No. Because the the tcp deamon will tru to communicate with the PC by sending a probe. If no answer is received it waits for 75 seconds. It then sends another probe. This goes on for 10 times and ONLY then does it kills the process running on the server.

Having said that, I have to qualify this. The orginal posters question was to do with ZOMBIES or defunc processes and clent PCs rebooting. They are both different problems.

Zombies occur when the child process gets killed and is trying to communicate with the parent process to inform it and is unable to. It then becomes a zombie or defunc process. Zombie proceses DO NOT use any Oracle resources nor take any machine resources. So is not a problem.

If the origianal poster is looking for duplicate UNIX signon, then that is a different kettle of fish all together.

ta
tony

--
 _____       ________ / ___ |Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
  /_  _        /_ __ /      |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)