Re: Rejecting Inserts

From: S. Kannan <skannan_at_cardinal.fs.com>
Date: 1995/06/28

Lars Priebe (100663.1253_at_CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Hello everyone!

: Thats my problem: Someone is inserting a record into a table.
: With means of a 'BEFORE INSERT' trigger i would like to check if
: the conditions for the record be inserted or true. Now, what is
: the best way to tell ORACLE not to insert this record if my
: conditions are not fullfilled.
: I know that i can raise an exception, which is an Err outside the
: trigger. Is there another way rejecting the insertion without
: raising an Error ?

: Thanks in advance !

No. There is no way to control the insert process in the BEFORE insert trigger without raising an exception. You can probably write it to another table and delete it later (not a very good solution, either!).

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Kannan
Email: skannan_at_fs.com

The above are my own comments and opinion. They do not purport that of
anybody else.