Re: IMPORT bombs with OS error code

From: Kevin Irwin <kirwin>
Date: 1995/06/27

kaz_at_sis.bms.com (Joe Kazimierczyk) wrote:

>I did a full export on a 7.0.15.4.0 system (Solaris 2.3), then
>started a full import on a 7.1.6.2.0 system running under Solaris 2.4.
>About 1 hour into the import, it bombed with the following:
>
> . importing table "DOCUMENT_CATEGORIES" 9 rows imported
> . importing table "DOCUMENT_IMAGES"
>IMP-00003: ORACLE error 3113 encountered
>ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
>IMP-00021: operating system error - error code (dec 32, hex 0x20)
>IMP-00018: partial import of previous table completed: 213060 rows imported
>
>Does anyone know what OS error code 32 means on Sun Solaris? Or
>better yet, is there any OS utility that can translate this?
  You can always find OS error codes in /usr/include/sys/errno.h. Whether that translates into anything useful is another story...

   In this case, I believe 32 is EPIPE, which means a broken pipe. However, this isn't particularly informative. The ORA-3113 is masking an error which caused the Oracle shadow to die unexpectedly (thus breaking the pipe the client was listening on). Check the trace files under ?/rdbms/log. There should be something from the shadow process there which gives an idication of why it died.

  • Kevin