Re: Client-Server ODBC-Programming - Best Choices

From: John Fruetel <jfruetel_at_ainet.com>
Date: 1995/06/27

vagif_at_oslonett.no (Vagif Abilov) wrote:

>ayermako_at_carbon.cudenver.edu (Alexander I Yermakov) wrote:

>>Could someone help me with a problem that has recently challenged me
>>in my research ? I have to design a client-server system to support a
>>big database on computational linguistics at our university computer
>>lab (using ODBC drivers) and I am somewhat at sea as to a) which DBMS
>>to use, and b) which programming system to choose to program the
>>access and user interface.

>Since you're using Visual C++, I suppose you're looking for something
>running on PC. I can't provide you with an info on all products you
>listed, but I have some experience with Watcom, Oracle, Access.

>1. Access. The Access 2.0 ODBC driver is based on OLE, therefore if
>you need a decent performance, you'll have to supply you users' PCs
>with enough memory (>= 16MB). I don't think Access has satisfactory
>performance.

Don't forget that Access makes you stop once in a while and compact/repair the database at regular intervals too. Also, we've had problems with Access (actually, probably JET) leaving all kinds of BIG temp files laying around. One of our users ran out of disk space once when Access/Jet insisted on making 92 megabytes of temp files to deal with a 1 megabyte database. Does anyone else have this problem? It doesn't seem to happen from the Access front-end. Does this have something to do with using Access from the Microsoft ODBC driver?

>2. Watcom SQL 4.0. This is my favourite. Very fast. Easy to learn and
>use.

I agree. Watcom 4.0 is really slick.

John Fruetel
jfruetel_at_ainet.com Received on Tue Jun 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message