Re: Comparisons of SQL/Windows and Ingres OpenRoad wanted

From: Jerry Nichols <NicholsJ_at_LFGMS.LOGICA.COM>
Date: 1995/06/26

In article <youngn-2306951321030001_at_158.234.17.99> youngn_at_logica.co.uk (Nicholas Young) writes:

>If anyone has an experience with both of these tools, I'd be grateful for
>any info on how they compare with one another. I'm trying to determine
>which to recommend to a client, probably with an Oracle database.

As a result of the desktop strategy work I've been doing for Barclays (a major Ingres user) I've seen some of the results of OpenRoad. Here are some of the bad points:

  • No DDE support
  • No OLE support
  • No clipboard support
  • No ODBC support
  • No VBX support
  • No OCX support

The only way of integrating is via DLLs (which it does support). OpenROAD's main development platform is now Windows NT (it used to be UNIX/Motif), but it has only recently made the transition and as a PC-based GUI tool it looks pretty awful. VB, Delphi, SQLWindows have far better development environments. Now the good points:

  • ummmm, I'm sure there were a couple

>(I believe that OpenRoad is simply the new name for Ingres/Windows 4GL,>but
please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Open Road is the new name for Ingres Windows 4GL

>Many thanks for any help, including pointers to any industry reports,
>Nicholas.
>--
>Nicholas Young. Views expressed are mine, not Logica's.
>Articles expire fast; please mail anything urgent.
>If you have trouble mailing to the return address, try also
>youngn_at_logica.com and/or nicholas_at_jessica.logica.co.uk.

Jerry Nichols
GMS/3 x5052 Received on Mon Jun 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message