Re: OCI Vs PRO C ?

From: Mauri Ketola <maucca_at_snafu.muncca.fi>
Date: 1995/06/26

In article <peters-260695075019_at_dlambert.mitre.org>, Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org> wrote:
>I used OCI some time ago, mainly because the ProC compiler did not work
>correctly on the particular machine. I have since done all my work in
>ProC,
>and would never go back. OCI is proprietary to Oracle, and although some
>might argue that you could achieve higher performance, you must work at a
>much lower level, akin to doing everything in assembler. Maintenance
>should also be given consideration, as the OCI code will be much more
>difficult to change to add functionality, etc.

I've not done any C programs, that connect to Oracle, but I'm planning to get Oracle to my Linux box in about 1-2 months.

I've read, that Pro*C would not work in Linux, so I would like to know, what kind of methods you have in order to get C program to work with Oracle. I mean now C programs, that are coded in Linux. Is there a way to code C progs, that uses Motif and connect to Oracle in the same Linux box, that has Oracle running?

Or do I have to code C programs in OS/2 for example and connect to Oracle by using ethernet link?

Mauri Received on Mon Jun 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message