Re: OCI Vs PRO C ?

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: 1995/06/26

In article <3sf3it$ebq_at_post.gsfc.nasa.gov>, bhash_at_mlrohp1.atsc.allied.com (Bhashyam Nallappa) wrote:

> -I am planning to use OCI to interact with GUI developed uder Motif.
> But recently I have come across paragraphs in the Oracle Manuals which
> states that the precompiler offers more functionalities than OCI and
> simplifies the process of accessing ORACLE. I would like to find the
> personal experiences of all those people who opted one over the other
>
> thanks
> bhash

I used OCI some time ago, mainly because the ProC compiler did not work correctly on the particular machine. I have since done all my work in ProC,
and would never go back. OCI is proprietary to Oracle, and although some might argue that you could achieve higher performance, you must work at a much lower level, akin to doing everything in assembler. Maintenance should also be given consideration, as the OCI code will be much more
difficult to change to add functionality, etc.

--
Peter Sylvester
MITRE Corp.