Re: zombies

From: Larry Fishman <larryf_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1995/06/26

John Marcus (jmarcus_at_spirit.com.au) wrote:
: jfruetel_at_ainet.com (John Fruetel) wrote:

: >tbellavia_at_riatax.com wrote:

: >>*** Tom Bellavia *** Research Instatute Of America Valhalla NY.
: >>I have oracle 7.1.4 both versions of sqlnet 1 & 2 running. I am a sun1000E
: >>Solaris 2.4 Platform. I have all the problems that everone else have (space
: >>leaks ect). What I have is a different problem.

: >>We are a big client / server shop. 300 - 400 PC's over a sizable Wan
: >>connection. I have alot of people doing ctrl + alt + del when the net is slow.
: >>Oracle (v1 of sqlnet) leaves these guys out there. Dropping the orasrv
: >>connection at night not any help. I need a script that run under unix that
: >>looks for zombies or dupl unix signon and blow them away. Anybody got any of
: >>these or posible suggestions for resolution. Thanx ......

: >You might want to see if you can fiddle with the TCP/IP KEEPALIVE
: >option on your host. I don't know about Solaris, but this can be
: >changed on SCO Unix from the default of two hours to something else (5
: >minutes in our case) and any "zombies" get nuked after 5 minutes.
: >John Fruetel
: >jfruetel_at_ainet.com

: As far as we are aware, Solaris does not have a TCP/IP KEEPALIVE
: option (Unlike SunOS). ORACLE WWS's only answer was to upgrade from
: SQL*Net V1 to SQL*Net V2, which has "KEEPALIVE" built into it rather
: that relying on the O/S. I'm yet to test this out yet...has anyone
: else got this working?

we use sql*net v2.1 under Solaris 2.3 on the server and in the sqlnet.ora file there is a line you may put in which reads:

sqlnet.expire_time=4

this kills/disconnects sessions checking every 4 minutes. it does work. I use it doing client-server where the client runs under windows and may GPF/user shuts-off the PC etc.