Re: Personal Oracle and ODBC

From: Jgreene <jgreene_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/06/25

From: jfruetel_at_ainet.com (John Fruetel)

> I've been trying to set up Personal Oracle on my WFW machine for a
> while and although I can get the database up and running just fine, I
> can't connect to it via ODBC.

> I'm not sure what to put in the Connect String portion of the ODBC
> setup for Oracle. For SQL*Net 1 connections, its something like
> t:host:sid and for SQL*Net V2 its something like tns:sid, but what's
> the connect string for a local database running on the same PC?

When we try to connect to Oracle workgroup server on an NT box using ODBC, we use the SQL*Net named pipes protocol. The format that we use is P:HOST:SID. You may want to alter your .ini file to specify the LOCAL parameter to contain the name of your sid and therefore all you will have to type in the connect box is P: (it will default to the instance in the local field). The manual says you can use SQL*Net TCP/IP to do the same function, but you need a network card installed in the machine if you use TCP/IP (I guess that it reflects off of the network card). Hope this helps. Received on Sun Jun 25 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message