Re: VB and Oracle

From: John Fruetel <jfruetel_at_ainet.com>
Date: 1995/06/24

"Mark F. Proudman" <mfp_at_spindrift.qc.ca> wrote:

>frank.naude_at_onwe.co.za (FRANK NAUDE) wrote:
>>
>>On 06/13/95 at 15:30, JOHN BROPHY typed re: VB and Oracle
>>>
>>>I'd like to build an app using:
>>>
>>>VB
>>>ODBC
>>> <---------------------------What goes in here? SQLNET?
>>>Communicating over TCP/IP
>>>to Oracle running on an HP
>>>

>>1. VB (or other tool)
>>2. Generic Microsoft ODBC driver
>>3. Oracle ODBC driver
>>3. SQL*Net V1 or V2
>>4. TCP/IP software (eg LAN Workplace from Novell, WinSock, etc.)
>>5. Ethernet NIC (Network Interface Card)
>>

>Does the Oracle ODBC driver sit on top of SQL*Net, or is it a
>replacement (both are level "3" above or is this a typo?)
>
>>But why don't you use "Oracle Objects for OLE". It's easier to program
>>and a lot faster than ODBC.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Frank

There's a lot of good reasons to use ODBC. If you're truly writing an ODBC application, it will be database independent. I don't know is this means much to you, but it's worth something.

Also, is ODBC really all that much slower than Oracle Objects for OLE? It's probably a little slower, but I think ODBC gets a bad rap. Keep in mind that the Visual Basic and Access implementation of ODBC is pathetically bad. The only good way to talk to ODBC from Visual Basic is through ODBC.DLL directly.

bcnu
j fruetel Received on Sat Jun 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message