Re: Full Export Hangs Oracle and Entire Machine

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1995/06/22

On Mon, 19 Jun 1995, Andrew McAllister wrote:
> This weekend I tried to do a full database export. I got to a big table and
> the machine just froze. Hard disk light was on solid. No drive noise (other
> than spinning). Couldn't telnet, login, ftp, attach to Oracle. Couldn't kill
> the instance, or even get a ps command to run. Had to power off the machine.
>
> Oracle 7.0.16.6.0 Production
> Running in Archive Log mode. Archive disk has about 100 megs free.
> Platform: Unixware 1.1.2 (SVR4 Unix on Intel)

First, we moved away from Unixware due to the large number of 'strange' lockups, hangs, and other misc. problems. If I remember correctly there is a patch out that may or may not (not in our case) fix some of these.

Second, did you perchance fill up the archiving disk or something else that the system needed? Any other activity against the database?

Was somebody doing a large FTP at the time? I found that any cummulative set of ftp's that resulted in more than 100 megs of data being moved in either a single or set of subsequent ftp sessions would cause very strange behavior. There occasionally is a message about running out of 'streams resources'. It will hang the database about 5 hours later.

Good Luck.

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Thu Jun 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message