Re: Full Export Hangs Oracle and Entire Machine

From: Andrew McAllister <mcallister_at_grad.missouri.edu>
Date: 1995/06/22

In article <3sa69k$d0d_at_hpcc48.corp.hp.com> jychan_at_corp.hp.com (Contractor - Yuktton "Jonny" Chan) writes: snip

>Andrew McAllister (mcallister_at_grad.missouri.edu) wrote:
>: This weekend I tried to do a full database export. I got to a big table and
>: the machine just froze. Hard disk light was on solid. No drive noise (other
>: than spinning). Couldn't telnet, login, ftp, attach to Oracle. Couldn't kill
>: the instance, or even get a ps command to run. Had to power off the machine.
 snip
>I have seen and experienced similar problems with Oracle on the NCR
>platform, which is SVR4 based on intel 100-Mhz Pentiums. It ultimately
>boiled down to o/s systems problems plus some issues with compatibility
>of that o/s rev with Oracle's DBMS rev.

>jc

snip
I think I narrowed it down to a new swap file. Once I removed the new 160 meg swap file, the system has only crashed once. Now I can do full exports. Problem is I still get the occasional crash cause I run out of swap. Oh well.

Andy
Andrew McAllister -- mcallister_at_grad.missouri.edu Office of Research, University of Missouri-Columbia The views above are my own, and NOT those of my employer. Received on Thu Jun 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message