Re: Oracle on Intel Platform - Stats Anyone?

From: james.mumper <jimm_at_cbnews.cb.att.com>
Date: 1995/06/22

In article </1H6vk7QB0zI083yn_at_medcal1.csustan.edu>, John Landers <JCL_at_medcal1.csustan.edu> wrote:
>Is anyone running Oracle on an Intel Platform with a high reliability and what
>operating system do they recommend any comments, stories, statistics (users
>etc). Would be appr. Please email or post. Thanks,jcl.

I am running Oracle 7.1.3 on an AT&T GIS 3455 dual-90MHZ Pentium machine with an AT&T GIS 6298 External RAID 5 Drive Array. Quite lovely. My operating system is WINNT3.5. I am still bringing the database online, so I don't have any user statistics, other than that I do have some remote clients logging in with no difficulty at all. I've even had them access the CDROM drive, download software and configured SQL*NET over the phone. Also quite lovely.

If you haven't looked into NT, when you do you will find that it is one of the most reliable operating systems around today. We have 3 NT servers on our network and not one of them has crashed in over a year. However, there have been a couple of times when my remote users have caused the database instance to shut down. I haven't had the opportunity to look into that very closely yet. Not very lovely.

I highly recommend this particular setup. Please note that I am referring to the operating system, INTEL processor's, and Oracle7. Being employed by AT&T biases my feelings towards the hardware, so I won't comment on that. Other than to say it's very lovely. :^)

Jim Mumper Received on Thu Jun 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message