Re: VB and Oracle

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/06/22

In article <3s6m9i$5od_at_cti01.citenet.net>, Mark F. Proudman <mfp_at_spindrift.qc.ca> wrote:
>frank.naude_at_onwe.co.za (FRANK NAUDE) wrote:
>>
>>On 06/13/95 at 15:30, JOHN BROPHY typed re: VB and Oracle
>>>
>>>I'd like to build an app using:
>>>
>>>VB
>>>ODBC
>>> <---------------------------What goes in here? SQLNET?
>>>Communicating over TCP/IP
>>>to Oracle running on an HP
>>>

>>1. VB (or other tool)
>>2. Generic Microsoft ODBC driver
>>3. Oracle ODBC driver
>>3. SQL*Net V1 or V2
>>4. TCP/IP software (eg LAN Workplace from Novell, WinSock, etc.)
>>5. Ethernet NIC (Network Interface Card)
>>

>Does the Oracle ODBC driver sit on top of SQL*Net, or is it a
>replacement (both are level "3" above or is this a typo?)
>
>>But why don't you use "Oracle Objects for OLE". It's easier to program
>>and a lot faster than ODBC.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Frank
>>

>I would gather the Oracle Objects for OLE works like this:
>
>1. VB (or other tool)
>2. OOforOLE

Acutally, the Oracle Cient Interface goes here(OCI), generally implemented as ORA71WIN.DLL (or something similar).

>3. SQL*Net V1 or V2
>4. TCP/IP software (eg LAN Workplace from Novell, WinSock, etc.)
>5. Ethernet NIC (Network Interface Card)
>
>What are the licensing arrangements for the Oracle objects drivers?
OO4O provides for free runtimes, just like other similar middleware packages that include VBXs...

>I am currently working with SQLNET, just calling it with OCI, which
>is a long and hard thing to program. If I move to Oracle Objects
>for OLE or the ODBC stack, do I need to buy separate developer
>and runtime licences?

OO4O only requires you to buy developer licenses. FYI:Your description of you current development is backward...You are using the OCI layer which calls SQL*Net. I'm not trying to nitpick, but I just want to help everyone understand all of the layers. From the user's perspective, here are the layers involved:

(Some App)-->OCI->SQL*Net->Network->SQL*Net Server->Oracle

ODBC sits on top of OCI.
OO4O sits on top of OCI, but it also has OLE Automation above it.