Re: Rollback segment file corrupted

From: <Mary.Travis_at_7638.404529.bst.bst.bellsouth.sprint.com>
Date: 1995/06/21

In article <3s9d70$7td_at_guillotine.mtl.dmr.ca>, <lamarcjp_at_mtl.dmr.ca> writes:

> Subject: Rollback segment file corrupted
> Date: 21 Jun 1995 15:17:52 GMT
>
> I am running 7.0.13.
> We rebooted UNIX (NCR SVR 4.0) after a crash.
> All my rollback segments are located into the same datafile (rbs.dbf)
> Oracle didn't reboot correctly; I got the messages:
> ORA-01113 file needs media recovery
> ORA-01110 file rbs.dbf needs recovery.
>

> By the way, Oracle has an amout of undocumented features (that can be
> placed into the init.ora file). Does anybody have a list of it ?

I had a similar problem about a year ago on a 7.0.16 database. Oracle support talked me through a solution using the init.ora parameter _offline_rollback_segments. To the best of my memory, here's what we did. 1. In SQL*DBA, startup mount

               alter database datafile rbs.dbf offline drop;
               shutdown

2. Edit init.ora replacing the rollback_segments=(rbs1,rbs2,etc) parameter with

   _offline_rollback_segments=(rbs1,rbs2,etc) 3. In SQL*DBA, startup

               drop rollback segment rbs1;
               drop rollback segment rbs2;
               etc...
               create rollback segment temp_rbs in tablespace system;
               shutdown

4. Edit init.ora deleting reference to _offline_rollback_segmentsand adding

   rollback_segments=temp_rbs
5. In SQL*DBA, startup

               drop tablespace rbs including contents; 6. Recreate rollback segment tablespace and rollback segments. 7. Edit init.ora to reference the new rollback segments.

Hope this helps Received on Wed Jun 21 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message