Re: Row level secrity

From: Dennis Wetherell <Wetherellm#m_Dennis_G_at_msmail.aai.arco.com>
Date: 1995/06/21

In article <3s5c6s$m07_at_antares.en.com> Nancy C. Whitney, whitney_at_en.com writes:
>I would like to achieve row-level security on a per-user basis. I got a
>quote for Trusted Oracle, but at $60,000 (for our site with the number
 of
>user we have according to a sales rep at Oracle :-( ) I decided to see
>what others are doing. Any ideas?

We impose row level security on a business group basis by user. The concept could be expanded so that security was imposed by individual user rather than business group.

We have created a security table which associates a user with a particular business group. In each of our data tables we carry the business group as part of the primary key structure.

Our users access the data through a view defined as select a, b, c from Data_table

   where group = (select group from Security_table

                                   where user_id = USER);

This approach works for select, insert, update, and delete.

Hope this helps.
Dennis Wetherell
Wetherell#m#_Dennis_G_at_msmail.aai.arco.com Received on Wed Jun 21 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message