Re: Power Objects for the MAC

From: Robert Hoskin <rhoskin_at_inforamp.net>
Date: 1995/06/21

adney_at_marcvm.marc.usda.gov (Colette Adney) wrote:

> We have downloaded the Oracle Power Objects for the Mac.
> After looking at the Form Designer Window we were wondering
> if this compatible at all with Forms 4.0? It appears to be
> rather limited compared to Forms 4.0.

OPO isn't intended to replace Forms 4.x, and it certainly isn't source-compatible in any way with Forms 4.x. It's a new and different product - aimed straight at VB-class tools (which don't really exist for the Mac). OPO can do some things and go some places that Forms can't manage, and Forms can do some things that OPO can't yet do. These products will probably coexist for a long time.

If you're happy with Forms and you don't have a footprint problem, then you may not have a large incentive to try OPO just yet. But it's got enough going for it that a lot of shops will have an incentive to try it on new (particularly mobile-related) projects. As to its ability to create good-looking and functional apps, have a look at the sample apps. The Dev. Release 1 apps are pretty nice - but the candidates I saw for the upcoming DR2 release were *gorgeous*.

Bob Hoskin
Heartland Software Received on Wed Jun 21 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message