Re: Splitting comp.databases.oracle ?

From: Hirisave L. Pratap <hirisave.pratap_at_intelsat.int>
Date: 1995/06/21

nolan_at_helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) wrote:
> >On Wed, 14 Jun 1995, Stefano UNTERNAEHRER wrote:
> >> Why not splitting this group in more appropriate subgroups?
>
> The list of 17 groups proposed by Stefano is probably too long, a good goal

> to shoot for in reorganizing is 15-30 posts per group (less than that and the
> groups would probably die for lack of critical mass), which suggests that we
> might want to keep the list under 10 groups.
>
> That would tend to suggest something like the following:
>
> comp.databases.oracle.announce (moderated)
> comp.databases.oracle.marketplace
> comp.databases.oracle.pc
> comp.databases.oracle.case
> comp.databases.oracle.tools
> comp.databases.oracle.languages
> comp.databases.oracle.dba
> comp.databases.oracle.financials
> comp.databases.oracle.misc

The need for 'critical mass' of 15-30 post per group is an excellent point. In line with that, it would be better to further limit the number of groups.

Can we merge ...announce & ...marketplace, ...dba and ...tools?

> Dave Erickson <erickson_at_mfa.com> writes:
>
> >If people are concerned about volume in this group, maybe more advice seekers
> >could offer to receive all answers through e-mail only, and post the answers
> >if they are requested to. (A lot of questions result in the same answer
> >being posted by many well-meaning people.)
>
> An excellent suggestion, I'm willing to accept comments (again),...

I beg to differ! If the inquirers get their clarifications by e-mail, what other good purpose does this group serves? Sometimes, some of my doubts and questions are answered with out ever posting a question on the net! At other times an excellent point made by more experienced friends on the net is worthy of 'CUT AND PASTE' to my collection!

cheers,

Hirisave

PS: To avoid the post error message "Server responded: Article not posted -- more included text than new text", I had to drastically cut the original message. Received on Wed Jun 21 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message