Re: Warning about null and open question to Oracle

From: Alexandr I. Alesinsky <al_at_investor.kharkov.ua>
Date: 1995/06/20

John Jones <john_at_iluvatar.tip.duke.edu> wrote at Mon, 12 Jun 1995 16:02:47

>I finally figured out that if both columns that were being compared were
>null then they were not equal. WHY????? It seems that null would be
>equal to null????? To any Oracle Corp. people out there ... Will this
>ever be fixed???

This is a documented feature rather then bug, so this will be fixed never (on my opinion). Oracle use three-state logic : TRUE, FALSE, UNKNOWN. And ANY comparision with null involved return UNKNOWN. For details see Oracle7 Server Application Developer's Guide.

Alexandr Alesinsky
JSV Investor Received on Tue Jun 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message