Re: Oraperl, HELP!

From: Keith Moore <keith_at_kmoore.itg.ti.com>
Date: 1995/06/20

Only 8 hours! You shouldn't give up so easily :-)

I just finished compiling it on a similar system, but using the Sun compiler. Sorry, but I don't think the company I'm contracting for will let me give away a copy. But, I may be able to help if you can give me some more information.

Were you getting any warnings? The first time I compiled it, it compiled, but failed the first test with a core dump. The problem, was that I accepted the defaults for included libraries. I needed to make sure it didn't use any of the ucb libraries (don't use -lucb or -I/usr/ucbinclude). I also needed to add -DI_DIRENT, so perl would use <sys/dirent.h>, instead of <sys/dir.h>.

That basically allowed me to compile perl. Then you run into another set of problems when compiling oraperl. The first one is that the Makefile is totally wrong (I read somewhere that is was for Oracle 6 and UCB Unix). I downloaded a version for Oracle 7 from the Oracle WWW site. I still had to modify it in several places after looking in the header files to find constants that I needed to define, additional libraries that had to be included, etc.

So, don't be discouraged. It took me about 12 hours to get perl to compile and another 8 hours for oraperl. Probably the most difficult thing I've had to do in a while. :-(

If you like, e-mail me and I'll see if I can provide more information for your specific problems.

Keith

Keith Moore, P.E.                            Minerva Technology
keith_at_kmoore.itg.ti.com                      3102 Maple Ave, # 240
(214) 575-3460                               Dallas, Tx 75201