Re: NT > Netware

From: Gordon E. Hooker <gordonh_at_acslink.net.au>
Date: 1995/06/20

From: Gordon E Hooker <gordonh_at_acslink.net.au> Subject: Re: NT > Netware
Conf: comp.databases.oracle
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 16:46 AEST

>>Hi All,
>>
>>Is it possible via SQL*Net to have the RDBMS running on an NT
>server,
>
>Yes.
>
>>and the Front End tools running on Netware?
>
>I assume you mean to say have "the front end tools served from a
>Netware file server".
>
>> If it is ok what are the tricks involved when making it happen?
>>

>Either install the SPX/IPX protocol on NT or configure clients with
>Netware and another protocol compatible with Oracle running on NT.
>For example a winsock compliant TCP/IP stack and Windows with the
>Netware client would be one option. Another would be WFW 3.11 with
>Netware and NETBEUI protocol (not ncessarily recommended).

The situations is as follows:

The NT server is connected to a Netware System, and a McDonald Douglas PICK system is accessed via the Netware System. To gain access using terminal emulation to the PICK system the Netware system uses IPX/SPX, to gain access to the NT server (Oracle Support Australia) say that the IPX/SPX protocol stack should be removed and access to the NT should be via 'named pipes'. When the IPX/SPX protocol stack is loaded the front end tools cannot communicate with the NT Oracle server, but can communicate with the PICK system. When the IPX/SPX protocol stack is removed the tools running over the Netware system can communicate with the NT Oracle server, but not the PICK system.

You said that IPX/SPX can be used to communicate with an NT Server, have you done this? If so I would like to know the secret, because Oracle Support Australia say it can't be done.

Thanks for listening to me, I look forward to your response...

Gordon Hooker MACS PCP                                     ,--_|\
25 Clarke Street, Ripley, Queensland, 4306, Australia     /      \
gordonh_at_acslink.net.au                                    \_.--._/
mobile: 018883835 phone: 61-7-2889716                           V
The opinions you read here are mine and not necessarily those of my employers. Although, I must say they are the truth, the whole truth, and nothing like the truth. As far as I'm concerned anyway... Received on Tue Jun 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message