Re: Implications of Date/timestamping Updates from different time zones

From: Gary Gapinski <gapinski_at_lerc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1995/06/20

While I haven't had a chance to actually implement such a scheme, the only way I can figure out how to do this is to use UCT at all the servers, rendering any dates to the desired locale when presented. This makes all dates in all servers be of the same domain. I think the SYSDATE presented by any server is related to the local time, so, at least for the data base instance, the TZ variable should be set to UCT/Z/GMT. As far as I know, Oracle has no provision for the presentation of dates modified by locale, so that would be up to you. A clock synchronization scheme would be in order as well.

A poorer alternative would be to accompany all dates with the "local" time zone offset, but that seems like a lot more work.

Regards,

Gary

| Gary Gapinski | email: gapinski_at_lerc.nasa.gov |
| NASA Lewis Research Center | voice: +1 216 433 5251 |