Re: Upgraded to v7.1, dblink from v6 not supported?

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 1995/06/20

In article <3s1gbe$epq_at_nic.hookup.net>, pberger_at_nic.hookup.net (Paul Berger) writes:

> In article <DACpx3.27H_at_ncrcan.canada.ncr.com>,
> Sandra Fergusson <rod.fergusson_at_canada.attgis.com> wrote:
>>In article <3rrhll$206_at_news.dax.net>, hts_at_sasdata.no says...

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>We just upgraded one of our servers from 7.0 to 7.1.
>>>
>>>We have one server that is still on v6 that has some database links to
>>>the v7 server.
>>>
>>>On v7.0 this still worked fine, now that we upgraded to 7.1, it won't
>>>work anymore.
>>>
>>>Oracle support in Norway suggest that this is the way it's supposed to
>>>work, and that we have to upgrade our v6 to v7.X.
>>>
>>>Needless to say, that isn't done in a hurry.
>>>
>>>Is there a workaround? Or a patch or _something_?

We had similar problem with 7.0.13 NOT talking to 7.1.3

What really BUGS ME is that there is NO mention of these incompatibilities in any of the upgrade doco. Surely they test compatibility before they ship production siftware; don't they?

We were in the process of migrating all databases to 7.1 anyway but there were a couple of weeks when we had both.

In your case, create a V7.0.x kernel and database and put 'bridging' database links in there so that the v6 database calls a link that points to the V7.0 database which points to the v7.1 database link. This of course assumes that your v7.0.x databases can talk to the v7.1 databases (In our case they couldn't).

Its a mess but once you've upgraded your v6 databases you can then dump the v7.0 stuff.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras