Re: VB and Oracle

From: Mark F. Proudman <mfp_at_spindrift.qc.ca>
Date: 1995/06/20

frank.naude_at_onwe.co.za (FRANK NAUDE) wrote:

>On 06/13/95 at 15:30, JOHN BROPHY typed re: VB and Oracle
>>
>>I'd like to build an app using:
>>
>>VB
>>ODBC
>> <---------------------------What goes in here? SQLNET?
>>Communicating over TCP/IP
>>to Oracle running on an HP
>>

>1. VB (or other tool)
>2. Generic Microsoft ODBC driver
>3. Oracle ODBC driver
>3. SQL*Net V1 or V2
>4. TCP/IP software (eg LAN Workplace from Novell, WinSock, etc.)
>5. Ethernet NIC (Network Interface Card)

Does the Oracle ODBC driver sit on top of SQL*Net, or is it a replacement (both are level "3" above or is this a typo?)

>But why don't you use "Oracle Objects for OLE". It's easier to program
>and a lot faster than ODBC.
>
>Cheers
>Frank

I would gather the Oracle Objects for OLE works like this:

  1. VB (or other tool)
  2. OOforOLE
  3. SQL*Net V1 or V2
  4. TCP/IP software (eg LAN Workplace from Novell, WinSock, etc.)
  5. Ethernet NIC (Network Interface Card)

What are the licensing arrangements for the Oracle objects drivers?

I am currently working with SQLNET, just calling it with OCI, which is a long and hard thing to program. If I move to Oracle Objects for OLE or the ODBC stack, do I need to buy separate developer and runtime licences?

Mark F. Proudman
mfp_at_spindrift.qc.ca
514 846 0971 Received on Tue Jun 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message