Re: can older tools call stored procedures?

From: Grant Donohoe <grant_at_abbi.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/06/18

In article <NEWTNews.803323100.26850.dae_at_redwood.pencom.com>

           dae_at_pencom.com "David Elliott" writes:

> Hi,
>
> A customer is running Oracle 7.0.16.6.5 on a Netware server, but they are
> still using old, DOS-based tools on the client machines (SQL*Plus: Version
> 3.0.9.1.1 and SQL*Forms: Version 3.0.16.3.2). I've created a package with
> several stored procedures (using sql*dba). That seemed to work, but when I
> issue the "execute" command from sql*plus, I get the error:
> unknown command beginning "execute de..." - rest of line ignored.
>
> And from within sql*forms, I also get compile errors such as:
> PL/SQL error 303 at line 25, column 1:
> qualifier 'PREMIUM_CALC' must be declared
>
> Is the problem that I'm using tools that just can't deal with stored
> procedures? BTW, I have granted execute to public and created a public
> synonym for the package. I also tried creating a public synonym for a
> particulare procedure in the package and got similar results.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> David Elliott Sr. Software Eng. email: dae_at_pencom.com
> Pencom Software main: (512)-343-6666
> 9050 Capitol of TX Hwy N. FAX: (512)-343-9650
> Austin, TX 78759

Hi David,

You should have no trouble. We call stored procedures from Forms 3.0, though Oracle did recently advise me it was modified to allow stored procedure calls I don't know exactly which version though.

Ensure you have granted the necessary permissions to the user you are trying to execute the procedure from both to allow plus to run them and forms to compile and run, the fact that forms cant see them implies permissions.

In forms even with the modified version,there are problems if you pass PL/SQL 2.0 parameters from the form, use older variable types if possible such as CHAR

Remember that Forms 3.0 (and 4.0 and 4.5) only support pl/sql version 1 while V7 rdbms supports PL/SQL 2.0, They hope to match things up for Forms 5.0.

So for update_a_table(newval);

use newval CHAR(30);

Though its happy with varchar2 aswell

Finally, we had problems using developer written sql functions from Forms

e.g SELECT double_a_number(l_count) from dual;

Oh and last of all , we found quite a lot of problems went away when we went up from 7.0.16 to 7.1

I've just noticed you created these procedures using sql*dba, that points to permissions again !

Hope that helps.

Grant Donohoe
Oracle Contractor (Believe it or not !)
Reigate
Surrey
U.K
grant_at_abbi.demon.co.uk Received on Sun Jun 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message