Re: Database Mirroring

From: RBCROSKELL <rbcroskell_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/06/18

Some new features of 7.1.6, can allow you to use database replication to keep 2 instances in sync. As I understand it, you set replications for each individual table. If the one of the databases or the connection goes down, Oracle keeps track of the changes, so that when the database or the connection is restored, Oracle can propagate any changes to the other database. Unfortunately, like everything in life, everything in Oracle has a potential for failure and the fancier it is, the more I would expect failures to be possible. I was looking at implementing this at Apollo Travel Services (one of the main reservation services) for a rather small database, which had very high availability requirements. In my answer I assumed, from your description, that you were looking to mirror a complete database, not just the disk drives. In addition, to this replication facility in 7.1.6, several hardware vendors have a various flavors of high availability systems which integrate with Oracle. Here at Standard and Poor's Compustat, we will be implementing Pyramids "Reliant" system this summer. Received on Sun Jun 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message