Re: Which Should I Choose - Oracle or Sybase

From: C:DEMONSPOOLMAIL <tim_at_artemis.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/06/17

In article: <3rlfga$19v_at_tibaldi.ahip.getty.edu> tulio_at_tibaldi.ahip.getty.edu (Tulio Hernandez) writes:
> Oracle supports Unicode, provides text search utilities (in the
> equivalent of TEXT fields), and the cursors are scrollable. On the
> other hand, their stored procedures are somewhat limited (they are
> unable to take parameters or return a status or they are not
> compiled; someone enlight me!)

        Oracle stored procedures can take parameters, they have out parameters. Stored functions return values and they are stored in a complied form in the database.

> Based on the requirements of this project, should I abandon Sybase
> for Oracle?

	Come, let us retract the foreskin of ignorance, and apply the
	wirebrush of enlightenment

	Tim London			phone :	+44 1753 662393
	Oracle DBA,Trainer and		mobile:	+44 836 287064
	part time OU tutor		Email : tim_at_artemis.demon.co.uk