Re: NVL Blues

From: Mike Kohut, NorthwesTel <mkohutnw_at_yknet.yk.ca>
Date: 1995/06/17

jthomas_at_atc.ameritel.net wrote:

> I am really getting tired of typing nvl. Is there a way to make
> a global setting so that SQL+ will
> convert all null's to zero's in calculations.
> * Jim Thomas Simple Solutions Lexington Park, MD *
> * "Beware of Simple Problems in Search of Complex Solutions" *

Well, in keeping with your motto, then how about defining your numeric fields as NOT NULL, and setting up your applications to insert zero if no actual value is specified upon row insertion? Of course, if you really need to distinguish null from zero in your applications, then you have no choice but to use the nvl function where appropriate. Received on Sat Jun 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message