Re: Splitting comp.databases.oracle ?

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 1995/06/16

>On Wed, 14 Jun 1995, Stefano UNTERNAEHRER wrote:

>> Why not splitting this group in more appropriate subgroups?

It looks like we're averaging about 65 posts/day. When this issue came up a few months ago, we were averaging about 60 posts/day. (I think we're running about twice that on the 'peak' day, usually Wednesday.)

The list of 17 groups proposed by Stefano is probably too long, a good goal to shoot for in reorganizing is 15-30 posts per group (less than that and the groups would probably die for lack of critical mass), which suggests that we might want to keep the list under 10 groups.

That would tend to suggest something like the following:

comp.databases.oracle.announce (moderated)
comp.databases.oracle.marketplace
comp.databases.oracle.pc
comp.databases.oracle.case
comp.databases.oracle.tools
comp.databases.oracle.languages
comp.databases.oracle.dba
comp.databases.oracle.financials
comp.databases.oracle.misc

My network connection went sour right after I offered to manage the RFD and CVF details, but it looks like things are working again and I am willing to give it another try.

Dave Erickson <erickson_at_mfa.com> writes:

>If people are concerned about volume in this group, maybe more advice seekers
>could offer to receive all answers through e-mail only, and post the answers
>if they are requested to. (A lot of questions result in the same answer
>being posted by many well-meaning people.)

An excellent suggestion, I'm willing to accept comments (again), and add them to the suggestions I got back in March. (Followups by e-mail.)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.com, nolan_at_inetnebr.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)