Database replication: how to perform?

From: Carel-Jan Engel <ease_at_wirehub.nl>
Date: 1995/06/15

For renewal of software on an existing site, i need to replicate a complete database on two separate machines. The parallel server option will not provide a right solution: the machines are on different locations, for safety reasons, and connected to each other by TCP/IP - SQL*Net.

We're talking about RS6000 operating under AIX 3.something. Other requirements are: when one of the machines goes down, all updates/inserts/deletes must be executed as soon as it becomes available again. My idea is to implement this using database triggers, generated by some nice SQL-script, based on the datadictionary tables.

My main question is: how to prevent failure of such a trigger when the 'remote' database is down?

Only one of the two machines is operational. A watchdog takes care of a take-over by the stand-by machine as soon as the operational system goes down.

The system is running in the way described above already, but this is implemented by some large 'C' programs we wanna get rid of.

Thanks for your help in advance, awiting your help,

Carel-Jan Engel. Received on Thu Jun 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message