sysdate, Time Zones and GMT

From: John Wright <johnw_at_johnw.supreme.auug.org.au>
Date: 1995/06/15

I need to be able to store date/time information in an Oracle v7 database in GMT (Grenich Mean Time) also known as UTC.

The doco says that there is a time conversion function which only supports the timezones applicable for the USA.

The application is to be deployed across multiple timezones, yet all data input, output and processing must be done on the same timezone basis, ie GMT.

Oracle support says that this is being looked at for v8.

Apart from writing a 'C' function call, and invoking it everytime I want to use a date/time, does anyone have any experience/work arounds?

Thanks in Advance.

---
John Wright             CSC Australia, Canberra.
johnw_at_canb.auug.org.au  100032.553_at_compuserve.com
Voice +61 6 201-8470    Fax +61 6 201-8499