Re: Splitting comp.databases.oracle ?

From: Dave Erickson <erickson_at_mfa.com>
Date: 1995/06/15

On Wed, 14 Jun 1995, Stefano UNTERNAEHRER wrote:

I asked a similar question a couple months ago, just about splitting apart the job postings from the technical discussion. I didn't get enough responses back then to make me want to pursue it any further, but if this group does split, that's my opinion. I don't see a problem grouping the rest of the tech discussions together for now, as a lot information posted to any of the groups below would be worthy of cross-posting to others.

If people are concerned about volume in this group, maybe more advice seekers could offer to receive all answers through e-mail only, and post the answers if they are requested to. (A lot of questions result in the same answer being posted by many well-meaning people.)

Dave

> Date: Wed, 14 JUN 1995 12:33:38 GMT
> From: Stefano UNTERNAEHRER <unter_at_mecati.mecasoft.ch>
> Newgroups: comp.databases.oracle
> Subject: Splitting comp.databases.oracle ?
>
> Why not splitting this group in more appropriate subgroups?
>
> comp.dababases.oracle.announce Announcements related to Oracle
> comp.databases.oracle.bugs Discussion and solutions for known bugs
> comp.databases.oracle.case Oracle CASE products
> comp.databases.oracle.dba Installation, Updgrade, Migration
> comp.databases.oracle.dbs Tablespaces, Rollback Segments, Redo files
> comp.databases.oracle.distributed Managing Distributed Databases
> comp.databases.oracle.hardware Discussing the physical aspects of Oracle
> comp.databases.oracle.misc General discussion about Oracle
> comp.databases.oracle.net SQL*Net, Oracle Names Server
> comp.databases.oracle.precompiler Pro*Ada, Pro*C, Pro*Pascal, SQL*Module, etc.
> comp.databases.oracle.server Server Manager, SQL*DBA, SQL*Loader, Exp/Imp
> comp.databases.oracle.third Third-Party Tools
> comp.databases.oracle.tools PL/SQL, SQL*Plus, SQL*Forms, SQL*Report, etc.
> comp.databases.oracle.trigger Trigger, Stored Objects, Packages
> comp.databases.oracle.tuning Tuning, Monitoring, Auditing, Security
> comp.databases.oracle.users Rules, Profiles
> comp.databases.oracle.2000 Workgroup/2000 Products
>
> This could be a first list, to be discussed.
> Any hints? Groups to add, remove, split, join, ...
> Stefano
> ____________________________
> \ Mecasoft SA | Oracle DBA | fax: +41 93 335 507 /
> \ 6600 Muralto | and PL/SQL, Pro*C | voice: +41 93 337 444 /
> \ | C, XWindow & Motif | /
> / | Software Developer | email: \
> / Switzerland Europe |____________________________| dba,unter_at_mecasoft.ch \

David B Erickson, Project Leader     *
McHugh Freeman                       * "YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP"
erickson_at_mfa.com                     *                           -Dino