Cant drop tablespace

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/06/14

I'm having trouble dropping a tablespace and was hoping someone could give me a hand and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I need to both shrink and defragment an existing tablespace called USER_DATA. First I exported the users that had objects in that tablespace. Second I wanted to drop the tablespace. Third I wanted to recreate it and then import the objects. Is this correct?

When I try to drop the tablespace with the command shown below, I get the following errors...

SQL> drop tablespace user_data including contents; drop tablespace user_data including contents *
ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-00376: file 2 cannot be read at this time
ORA-01110: data file 2: 'SYS:ORANW\DATABASE\wguser.ora'

What am I doing wrong? I checked the manual for ORA-00376 and it just says to make sure that the datafile is ONLINE. It is.

There is nobody else connected to the database.

This is Oracle 7.1 for Netware. The Netware version is 3.12.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!