Re: Network Manager's Configuration Files distribution

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/06/13

You need to set an environment variable called TNS_ADMIN on both the client and the server to point to where the config files are. Typically on the server it would be $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin and on the client, PC orawin\network\admin but you can essentially put them anywhere you want to as long as the environment variable is set to the location.

Hope this does it for you

Jim Gregory

===
>Hello folks!

>I'm installing SQL*Net V2.1 and I have generate the needed files using
>the netman utility. We have a very simple network, with one HP-UX server
>and some HP-UX clients. Now I have the files, ready to be distributed.
>My current problems is: Where to copy this files, in which directory?

Trying to start 'lsnrctl start' without to install the files will give this message:

  LSNRCTL for HPUX: Version 2.1.6.1.0 - Production on 12-JUN-95 17:11:46   Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1994. All rights reserved.   Starting /users/oracle7/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...   TNSLSNR for HPUX: Version 2.1.6.1.0 - Production   NL-00462: error loading parameter file /etc/listener.ora    NL-00405: cannot open parameter file
    SNL-00821: nlfncons: file does not exist      HPUX Error: 2: No such file or directory

So I can deduce I have to install the listener.ora file in the /etc directory (at the moment I can't do it, because I don't have root privs). But what about sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora ? According the the NetMan manual, I have to install sqlnet.ora local for each workstation, and tnsnames.ora in a directory visible by all the network. No problem (I hope :-) to find an adequate directory with my OS administrator, but how will lsnrctl be able to find it?

Thank you for any help,
Stefano

______________________|    Stefano Unternaehrer
\  Mecasoft SA        |         Oracle DBA         | fax:    +41 93 335 507
/
 \ 6600 Muralto       |     and  PL/SQL, Pro*C     | voice:  +41 93 337 444 /
  \                   |     C, XWindow & Motif     |                       /
  /                   |     Software Developer     | email:                \
 / Switzerland Europe |____________________________|  dba,unter_at_mecasoft.ch \