Re: SQL*Net V2

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_rwessman.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/06/12

>In article <3rf80n$bco_at_news.acns.nwu.edu> d-mausner_at_nwu.edu (Dave Mausner) writes:
>
>>In article <3r9l4l$8ve_at_ilex.fernuni-hagen.de>, q3678962_at_bonsai says...
>>
>>>Some PC's have to connect to the database over SQL*Net DecNet and I want to
>>>know which PC has connected. It would be enough if it is possible to identify
>>>the PC e.g. name or decnet address.
>>
>>identify the pc from where? a decnet server (a vax/alpha) or somewhere else?
>>
>>>The next question is how to configure SQL*Net V2 so that all people can
>>>connect with OPS$-User and not with an ORACLE password.
>>
>>cannot do that, the feature is available only for direct server connections,
>>not over sql*net.
>>--

This is a feature of the database, not of SQL*Net, and it can be done. However, it is extremely dangerous if SQL*Net cannot authenticate the user, and most protocols cannot authenticate users.

Secure Network Services 2.0 will provide user authentication over SQL*Net.

                                Rick
                                Rick Wessman
                                Network Management Products
                                Server Techologies