Re: Where to find average salaries of Oracle programmers?

From: Jim Starwood <jstarwoo_at_haven.ios.com>
Date: 1995/06/11

> In case you were wondering which firm I am joining it is Big (O) Oracle itself.
> I am joining them as a consultant in Houston. I am one of the best in Oracle and
> I am extremely proud of it.I have published three articles in Oracle

You have every reason to be proud. There are many who get close to getting published, and some that do with approaches more useful in a closed system... I have not read your articles, but will assume them meritorious.

> you are interested, I can mail you the procedure so that you dont need to
> reinvent the wheel again. I have solved many problems on this newsgroup and
> posted solutions

That is the rationale behind information resources such as this forum.

> though most of the time, I e-mail solutions so that the
> reruiters on the net dont get on my nerves.

This is a definite problem. On the other hand, I've asked questions in which a poster answers and the solution offered is unrealistic politically or economically, or just plain untested. Some people like to see their name up on Usenet, and maybe the recruiters need to tweak their capture scripts.

> My contention is this. I dont like working with arrogant people which was
> heavily carried in your first posting.

I AM arrogant. Just one step above cynical. When someone tells me that it can't be done, and I feel like it ought to be possible, and I have time to research it, I'll try to deal with it.

But I have to work in a non-research environment. Read MONEY. Any time I assign resources to a problem, I have to be ready to justify that expenditure to my partner and our banks, especially when loan negotiations are in progress. Regulation that protects all depositors impacts my bank's decisions on "taking a chance" with more money as we attempt to expand our business. Like most people who live near the leading/bleeding edge, we have a lot of shelfware. haha. In our case, last year's 10/94 inventory showed $ 115K. That equates to the one year burdened cost of a *GOOD* DBA with real-life experiences...

> I dont definitely like being doled $$$.
> I'd rather earn them. I will deserve my salary wherver I work. I work hard
> and learn a lot. In case I feel that I am indispensable, I will surely ask for
> more bucks provided of course I deserve and deliver everytime I am called
> upon.

You will go very far in this world if you keep those tenets in mind.

> As for your PB/Forms post, I object to the use of foul language. ( I think you
> used the f... words a couple of times) which I didint like.

Twice.

> This is a forum
> for professionals and would you use such words at a conference say?

Yes. Again, censure is not an issue with me. Your new company needs to work on the real-life problems of its (and our) clients everywhere. I have personally spent close to 75 telephone hours resolving "stupid" but not unimportant technical issues. I spend a long time waiting for callbacks. I get uninspired technical support. Being civil has not always solved my problems. Being "professional" doesn't always engender expediency.

The next time you go to a conference (at a competing product, say), use the lavatory during a break and say something like "XXXXXXXX is better than YYYYY any day of week". Instant religious war. These are professionals in .com environments...

> As for the technical issue, Forms 4.5 with CDE is definitely a better tool
> with an Oracle backend because of the tight coupling of the two. I have seen
> hardcode PB people go gaga over it. Forms 4.5 with very little effort can be
> made to run on X/MS/MAC. Isnt that cute?

Yes, (and I don't disagree with your Forms 4.5 assessment) but production applications rarely have to cross client implementation lines. Cute is fine for selling. But I have final responsibility in my shop for delivery. And I guess you know where I stand.

> I dont like getting personal...For me this newsgroup is sacred and I read
> every article be it foul or not. I dont have kill files because I ignore
> certain people and the next time around they need help I wont contribute,
> even if I know the answer.

You can ignore them completely with a killfile. They just won't know it.

> Anyways, I am trying to wind up my Univ life and I have little time to flame
> or fight. After I get into Oracle, I dont know whether I will post at all,
> even though I will follow the newsgroup.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope that your talents are not lost (or overlooked) in the bureaucracy. Same wish for all others knowing that they *could* make a difference. I am still trying, and am happy at each small success, because each time I do, I get the monetary compensation that makes the other, more important things in life, possible.

Jim Starwood                         I like a chromatic love affair...
jstarwoo_at_haven.ios.com                  one half-step at a time.