Re: Help! DBMS_OUTPUT problem

From: Blv n Drms <blvndrms_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/06/10

I agree with the change to include the size on the 'set' line but I have to disagree about using PUT_LINE in a stored procedure. As long as the stored procedure is called from SQL*PLUS after issuing the set serveroutput on statement it WILL display the output to the server (i.e. your display). All put_line does is put the line into the buffer, by specifying set serveroutput on, you are telling SQL*PLUS (or SQL*DBA) to do an automatic dbms_output.get_lines to get the data from the buffer when a pl/sql block completes.

   If you need further clarification on the use of DBMS_OUTPUT Contact Oracle support and request Bulletin 105946.802 - Debugging PL/SQL Programs Using DBMS_OUTPUT dated July 1, 1994. It is very comprehensive and give lots of coding examples and hints.

Jack Richter
Senior Consultant-Oracle
Eagles International, Inc Received on Sat Jun 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message