Re: Where to find average salaries of Oracle programmers?

From: Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tam2000.tamu.edu>
Date: 1995/06/10

In article <3ra0pq$t57_at_ankh.iia.org>, Jim Starwood <jstarwoo_at_haven.ios.com> wrote:
>Steve Cosner (stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU) wrote:
>: In article <3qiaa2$r7b_at_mdnews.btv.ibm.com> rlampat_at_vnet.ibm.com writes:
>: >In <18MAY199513581952_at_ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>, oispeggy_at_ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Peggy Brown) writes:
>: >>Can anyone suggest where I can find a list of average salaries
>: >>for Oracle programmer? Both DBAs and developers?
 <snip>
>: >>My bosses are trying to give me a raise, but their bosses say they
>: >>need proof that I am underpaid.
>: >>
>: > You might try to get a firm offer for more than
>: > you currently make from a competitor. This has its
>: > risks, but could pay off in the form of a larger paycheck!
>: >

>: I have seen that tried, but usually the response was "OK, good-bye and
>: good luck!"
>
>That is exactly what happens in my shop. If you can't give me all you can
>and are not satisfied with what I dole out, set up your own terms.
>
>And get the hell out of our way.
>Jim Starwood I like a chromatic love affair...
>jstarwoo_at_haven.ios.com one half-step at a time.

The Key word here is "firm" offer. I wouldnt ask to be paid higher if I didnt deserve it. I would of course ask for a raise if I had to face the prospect of being fired at the same time for it by having a resignation letter in my left pocket and a "firm" offer in my right pocket. There are two simple concepts here:
No deal, Raw deal: Take Raw deal.
Raw Deal, better deal: Take better deal. I see that you wouldnt "dole" out extra bucks to retain a good employee. Try getting someone who knows Oracle or for that matter any valuable skills after you have asked your original employee to leave. You would end up paying more bucks that way. And the employee you will ask to leave for asking industry standard salaries is going to get better salary than what you are "doling" out.
Of course the con side of this is the employee might get greedy. But everybody knows when to draw the line. So if you want to show some bravado on the net do it somewhere else and for heaven sake's dont kid us. I saw your previous postings on Powerbuilder vs Forms issue and we would all in this newsgroup appreciate it if you could tone down your "language" be it SQL or otherwise.

Thanks
Mahesh Vallampati
oracle7_at_tamu.edu
// In the beginning there was Codd...
PS: Jim, Just in case if you were wondering why a guy from .edu is discussing this stuff, I am moving to .com next month and I insisted on being paid Industry standard. Received on Sat Jun 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message