Re: SAP R3

From: Mark Liversedge <markl_at_yaffle.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/06/09

GK = Garth Kennedy
SW = Stefan Wagner

SW>  I wonder if other peole have realised, that SAP/R3 stores all the
SW>  attributes of one row in ONE db-attribute (does'nt matter if it is
SW>  oracle, sybase, ...).

This is getting boring. SAP delivers 80% of application data tables as transparent, that is DB view = SAP view.

Your problem may be with pools/clusters, if you don't like them then convert them to transparent using SE11+SE13.

From 3.0 ALL tables, allegedly, will be transparent.

SW>  So, nobody has any possibility to tune a DB-System (for example to
SW>  set an index) or to use any other product to select SAP/R3 attributes
SW>  (without copy SAP/R3 tables to normal DB-tables) like SQL or other
SW>  products like Business Object, Access, Forms...

You can add indexes to transparent tables, via the DB or even via SAP using SE11+SE13.

GK> Well we did not try. After a bit of investigation it became obvious
GK> that SAP was using the underlying database as basically a file system.
GK> Any thing defined in the SAP data dictionary can not be tuned.
GK> (That includes table placement, indexes and all those other things
GK> that you normally would use for tuning :-( )

Table placement can be tuned. SE14 (Technical settings). It is also controlled via the tables IAORA (for indexes) and TAORA (for tables). Init extent, max extent, next extent etc, can be controlled (and tuned) via SE14 in conjunction with tables IGORA and TGORA.

All of this, of course, is documented on the CD supplied by SAP with your installation.

If you want to, you can change database settings independently of SAP. I do not know whether SAP officially support this.

init.ora is open to tuning, of course.

The noise/info ratio on this newsgroup WRT Sap is getting pretty poor. I guess SAP is a tall poppy ...

--
Mark Liversedge     | space [absence of matter] is infinite; matter is finite
DRUID SYSTEMS LTD   | I speak only for myself, I suggest you do likewise...