Re: ORA-1555 Snapshots Too Old Error[Q]

From: Stan Wolfe <stanw_at_bnr.ca>
Date: 1995/06/08

In article <3qnlqa$odo_at_ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>, whitep_at_ix.netcom.com (Perry White) wrote:

" How can I tune these rollback
" segments to avoid this error? Are there other measures I can take to
" prevent this error? I think I am ok for day to day updates,its just
" when a massive delete occurs we have this error.
"
" Perry White, DBA whitep_at_ix.netcom.com

One strategy I have used in the past is to create one really large rollback segment and keep it offline until the developer needs it to do the large delete. You must preface the delete statement/block with:

 SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT large_sucker;

Alter it offline when you are done!

You will have to leave the headroom in the rbs tablespace in order to accomodate the large_sucker. You may be able to cheat a little by putting the normal rollback segments offline before you put large_sucker online.

Good luck,

Stan Wolfe
Amateur DBA Received on Thu Jun 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message