Locked tables on inserts.....

From: Ed Hillmann <Edward_Hillman_at_mail.amsinc.com>
Date: 1995/06/08

I'm trying to gather information on how to deal with a particular problem that we are having when trying to insert rows into a locked table. When an attempt is made to do the insert into the locked table, the application hangs while it waits for the table to 'free-up'. I understand that Oracle will wait around 32,000 seconds before it will error out (about 9 hours).
The question I want to ask is whether there is a way to either

(1) check to see if the table is locked before the insert is performed
(like an update nowait) or

(2) set Oracle so that it won't wait 32,000 before it returns with an
error msg.

Tables are being locked for database backup purposes...the client code using the database is not locking tables, but this is a case which should be planned for, I believe.

Any info/thoughts would be appreciated... Received on Thu Jun 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message