Re: How to get a sure kill for user sessions

From: C:DEMONSPOOLMAIL <tim_at_artemis.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/06/08

In article: <3r2lct$vp4_at_firehose.mindspring.com> r_hammel_at_mindspring.com (Richard Hammel) writes:

> We have a cold backup that executes every Sunday morning at 12:15am. On
> a couple of occasions, the database has failed to go down because there
> were user sessions marked as KILLED but nonetheless, Oracle would not
> shutdown. We could do a shutdown immediate, but Oracle says that this is
> not a clean shutdown and that you should not do a cold backup after a
> shutdown immediate. What we need is a way to perform the equivalent of a
> kill -9 on Oracle user sessions. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> - Rick Hammel

        Perform the shutdowm immediate. then startup the database and shut it down cleanly. Then you can do the backup

	Come, let us retract the foreskin of ignorance, and apply the
	wirebrush of enlightenment

	Tim London			phone :	+44 1753 662393
	Oracle DBA,Trainer and		mobile:	+44 836 287064
	part time OU tutor		Email : tim_at_artemis.demon.co.uk