Re: Case sensitive/insensitive?

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1995/06/08

In article <MARY.95Jun6153638_at_shark>, mary_at_mitra.com (Mary E. Hunt) writes:

|> Oracle appears to be case sensitive when executing a query on a
|> char/varchar2 type of field. I would like the data to be entered what
|> ever way the user wishes, but would like to be able to query the data
|> without using the upper() function, as this won't use the index.
|>
|> I know MS-Access is case insensitive. Ie I enter a value into col1 as
|> "Text" and I can select where col1 = 'text'.
|>
|> What is the standard for SQL databases?? Case sensitive on character
|> fields or case insensitive?
|>
|> If you have any ideas, because I am going to have to figure out a work
|> around for Oracle being case sensitive.

You can define a row-level after insert or update trigger on the table, which converts the data to all uppercase, regardless of the string entered in the insert or update statement. Then all your queries could be written with the string in upper case.

The standard, I believe, is to be case-sensitive. Received on Thu Jun 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message