Re: How to get a sure kill for user sessions

From: Melinda McGee <melinda_mc_gee_at_dfci.harvard.com>
Date: 1995/06/07

We had the same problem and after much searching found there was no good way to get rid of those user sessions using kill from the o/s, especially since our weekly cold backups run in the background off-hours. So, we set up the backup script to do a shutdown abort, then a startup open restrict, then finally a shutdown normal and the cold backup. The shutdown abort gets rid of all the sessions, the restart lets the database clean itself up after the abort, and the shutdown normal lets us get a good backup. Not pretty but works for us.

Melinda McGee                         "all the usual disclaimers apply"
Lead DBA   Received on Wed Jun 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message