Re: case insensitive indexes?

From: Mike Kohut, NorthwesTel <mkohutnw_at_yknet.yk.ca>
Date: 1995/06/06

jimm_at_netcom.com (Jim McGee) wrote:
> I am wondering if it is possible to create an index on a mixed-case field
> that is case-insensitive. I assume that this is not possible, based on my
> reading of the documents, but i'm hoping someone can show me i'm wrong.

I don't think it is possible. An index field can only be an exact copy of a database field.

As a suggestion...
How about if you create a duplicate field in your database table that contains an uppercase-only version of the mixed-case field, then create an index on the uppercase field? You would have to modify your applications to ensure that the uppercase field is inserted or modified in parallel with the mixed-case field. Received on Tue Jun 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message