Re: What goes on during the Fetch stage ?

From: Gary Kirsh <gkirsh_at_news.dorsai.org>
Date: 1995/06/06

Rene Pijlman (Rene.Pijlman_at_inter.NL.net) wrote:
: mali_at_xnet.com wrote:
: >Parse, Execute and Fetch. Parse I understand. What goes on during Execute
: >and Fetch ? How are these steps different. I have a situation where execute
: > time is zero and fetch is 300 seconds. This is according to SQL TRACE.

: I think on execute all ORACLE does is store the current System Change Number
: in the per-cursor administration. The real work (scanning tables, joining,
: fetching database blocks etc.) is done on fetch.

: HTH,
: -Ren\'e Pijlman- _-^^-_
: Rene.Pijlman_at_inter.NL.net _- _ - -_
: On no account allow a Vogon || \ - /\\
: to read poetry at you. || \___/ ||
: - Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy || //|\

If you look at the trace for an Insert, Update, or Delete, you'll see all the time spent executing. A select does all the work in the fetch, as noted above.
Gary

--
Gary Kirsh
Next Extent, Inc.